Thursday, February 16, 2012

The Turing Centenary and Dicken's bi-centenary

Charles Dickens
Alan Turing was born on June 23 1912 and commemorations are planned all over the world, but 2012 is the bi-centenary of another (and let's be honest) better know Englishman - Charles Dickens. He was born in Portsmouth on February 7 1812. My favourite Dicken's story is probably Great Expectations although Oliver Twist would run it a close second. I realised whilst watching the BBC's new adaptation of Great Expectations that its been ages since I read any Dickens. So, this year I plan to read some Dickens and to go for books I've not read before. I've just started Our Mutual Friend.
    These two websites are promoting all the events and activities taking place globally to commemorate these two great men:

No comments:

Post a Comment