Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Are flexible displays the future?

Delegates at CES 2013 in Las Vegas have been wowed by a flexible screen display prototype called PaperTab developed by Intel, Queen's University (from Canada not the UK one) and the British company Plastic Logic. Certainly the video below shows some very interesting capabilities (if you ignore the power and data cables connecting the "tabs"). However, I'm left wondering if the desire to replicate the look and feel of paper isn't in some way like the way the first cars were literally horseless carriages. Do I really want to have to manipulate multiple pieces of paper? I'm not sure I do. Do I want a lighter tablet, with longer battery life, that can be safely dropped - yes. Anyway you can decide for yourself by watching the video below.

No comments:

Post a Comment