Saturday, May 8, 2010

Realistic Books

I went to a lecture after work on Wednesday this week by a prominent New Zealand computer scientist, Ian Witten. The lecture was very interesting on the subject of web search engines and their limitations. Instead of using a conventional PowerPoint presentation his lecture notes were displayed in the form of a book complete with turning pages. I discovered that this was created using an online system called Realistic Books.
If you upload a pdf (I'm not sure if it handles other formats) it creates an online e-Book from your document, complete with the page turn effects. You can also download a zip file of your book to put on your website or just run of your computer. The system uses Flash to animate it.
I've turned my sample Chapter 2 into a Realistic Book if you want to see the effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment